The garageErasmus Foundation (gE) and the Union of European Federalists (UEF) are looking for a Communications Manager for the two organisations to be based in the UEF European Secretariat in Brussels.
garagErasmus Foundation (gE)
garagErasmus (gE) is the professional network of the Erasmus Generation that aims to support the shaping of better-integrated Europe. It is a foundation as well as an ambitious project of social innovations. Its goal is to bring together a cool community of internationally minded people, who have had a study experience abroad with the Erasmus Programme or other international study or professional experiences and give them access to opportunities that can make their careers more impactful for the European community. It pursues its mission through matching demand and offer of international jobs, fostering social initiatives and helping the creation of new start-ups. The garagErasmus is the only recognized platform by the European Commission to work on establishing the Erasmus generation professional network. More information on www.garagerasmus.org.
The Union of European Federalists (UEF)
UEF is a non-governmental non-partisan pan-European organisation, dedicated to the promotion of closer European integration and a democratic and federal Europe. UEF was founded in 1946 and today is active in 25 European countries. We organise debates, campaigns, seminars, actions and other events across Europe on key European issues and federalism. We dialogue with European institutions and national policy-makers to promote a united and federal Europe. We support our network of groups across Europe. You can find more information on our organisation, policies and activities on our website www.federalists.eu.
You will manage all European communication activities of the two organisations, with an approximately 50/50 sharing of your time between the two organisations. Under the supervision of the Head of Office of UEF and the Director of garagErasmus Foundation:
- You will be responsible for the general internal and external communication strategy of the organisations, reflecting the priorities and image of the organisation and ensuring consistency across channels and projects.
- You will be the primary responsible for planning and managing all online and off-line internal and external communication channels and activities of the organisations.
- You will develop all internal and external communication material to be produced by the organisations (press releases, newsletters, presentations, publications, brochures)
- You will be the primary responsible for the social media channels of the organisations, including their monitoring, managing, content creation, analysis and growth.
- You will ensure updates and continuous improvement of the organisation websites, creating textual and visual content, when necessary in liaison with developers and web-designers.
- You will develop and manage the relationships with journalists and media outlets.
- You will drive outreach for public debates, events, political campaigns and actions.
- You will liaise with external providers (such as designers and publishers) as required by your project.
- You will coordinate volunteers and short-term interns supporting communication activities of the organisations.
- You are a passionate believer in European integration and familiar with current European issues and projects.
- You have a degree in communication, journalism or similar.
- You have a work experience of at least 2 years (in addition to any previous internship) in the field of Communications or Public Relations, preferably in an international association or NGO, political circles, a Brussels-based consultancy, media outlet or other EU circles.
- You have good knowledge of communications strategy development and execution processes.
- You are proficient in managing social media and web channels and tools.
- You must be proficient in Adobe suite (in part. Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop).
- You have a good network in Brussels communication and media circles.
- You have practical experience in supporting events organisation and public relations.
- You are fluent in written and spoken English and French. Any additional language (particularly Italian and/or German would be an asset)
- You are pro-active, self-motivated and able to work independently on multiple projects in parallel and often under tight deadlines.
- You are able to write and communicate effectively in different contexts, with different medium and different audiences.
- You have previous experiences with EU funded projects, specially Erasmus+.
- You have an outgoing and social personality.
- You are an EU national or have already a work permit to work in Belgium during the expected contract period.
- Any experience in working with volunteers is an asset.
- A full-time fixed-term contract under Belgian law for a period of 12 months, subject to a 3 months trial period, with possible renewal subject to performance and conditions to be agreed at that time;
- Alternatively, if preferred by you, a free-lance contract for an equivalent period, with weekly time and compensation and possible adjustments to the job profile to be discussed.
- Occasional work on evenings and weekends is required and compensated with subsequent time off. Occasional travelling is required for events outside Brussels.
- An interesting and challenging work experience in major pan-European Brussels-based organisations.
- Exposure to a wide range of contacts in the European institutions and circles.
- A diversified portfolio of communication activities and projects.
- A dynamic and multi-national team of colleagues and volunteers.
Applications and selection procedure
- Your application should be sent by e-mail to email@example.com indicating “Communications Manager – Application” in the email subject. Your application must include an up-to-date CV and a cover letter outlining your motivation, the two documents attached to your email as a single PDF document named with your first and last name.
- The deadline to apply is 1st March 2019, midnight CET.
- Interviews with short-listed candidates will be conducted during the first 2 weeks of March in person in the UEF office in Brussels.
- Start date: as soon as possible after selection.
- In case of questions, you can contact Valentina Presa at +32.2.5083030 and firstname.lastname@example.org